Parenting isn’t easy, but there is help.
For both ladies and guys, caring for loved ones is a hard job to take on.
What’s great is that there is so much caring help and support available, no matter what you’re going through. You can make it.
- United Way Worldwide – Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding financial, home, food, health, disaster, job, veteran, education, human trafficking and emergency support services near you.
- Afterschool Alliance – Quality and affordable afterschool programs in your state.
- GreatSchools – Find the best public and private preK-12 schools for your child.
- Career information – Find information on duties, training, pay and outlook for many jobs.
- Going to college – Get ready and find the right college for you
- Paying for college – Learn all about getting help paying for college
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – Get government help paying for college.
- Disaster and emergency help – Get help preventing, preparing, and responding to emergencies.
- Help after surviving a disaster – Information, support and financial help services.
- Starting and managing a business – Find information, events, classes and more resources near you.
- Buying a home – Answers for first time home buyers.
- Housing Finance Agencies – Find help and support getting an affordable home.
- Looking for the best mortgage – Get tips and information on what you need to know.
- Housing dictionary – Meanings of words and terms you might come across when buying a home.
- Problems paying your mortgage – Learn more about your options and what you can do.
- Affordable private housing for low-income families – Learn more about Housing Choice Vouchers for renting and buying safe and affordable rental housing.
- Public housing – Learn more about safe and affordable housing for low-income families, those with disabilities and the elderly.
- Health care for everyone – Call (877) – 464 – 4772 (option 5) to get help finding free or low cost health care for you and your whole family.
- Health care for pregnant women – Call (800) – 311 – 2229 to get help finding free or low cost health care and pregnancy checkups near you.
- Free or low-cost health insurance – Call (800) – 318 – 2596 for 24/7 help and to see if you qualify for Medicaid and CHIP.
- Children’s free or low-cost health insurance – Call (877) – 543 – 7669 to learn more about Medicaid or CHIP and see if you qualify.
- Pregnancy and baby app – Text BABY to 511411 for information on how to keep you and your baby healthy (also in Spanish).
- Pregnant at work help – Call (800) – 526 – 7234 for information about how your boss can work with you while you’re pregnant at work.
- Parenting guide – Adventures in Parenting
- Parenting and reading guide – A Child Becomes a Reader: Birth to Preschool
- Parenting and reading guide – A Child Becomes a Reader: Kindergarten through Grade 3
- Support for Dads – Tips and activities for dads at home, with school and in the community.
- Parenting tips – Helpful parenting information from newborn to the teen years.
- Affordable legal help – Find organizations that provide affordable legal help near you.
- Child support centers for moms and dads – Get information on setting up, changing or keeping a child support order at an office near you.
- Early childhood education centers – Find a nearby Head Start center for your child.
- Vaccinations – Call (800) – 232 – 4636 for information and help with vaccines and immunization schedules.
- Grocery and food help with SNAP – Get help with stretching your food budget and buying healthy food.
- Baby food and nutrition help for parents – Call 800 – 311 – 2229 to find a local WIC office for counseling, classes, breastfeeding help and baby food.
- Temporary help for needy families – Get temporary help caring for and supporting your family.
- Get help finding food – Emergency food and connections to helpful programs and services near you.
- Emergency housing, food, and health help – Find shelters, free food, and free or low-cost health care near you.
- Breastfeeding answers and help – Call (800) – 994 – 9662 for answers to your questions and help with your breastfeeding situation.
- Breastfeeding help worldwide – Call (877) – 452 – 5324 for breastfeeding help near you.
- Product safety – Call (800) – 638 – 2772 for information on unsafe and safe products for you and your family.
- Poison help – Call (800) – 222 – 1222 for emergency help when accidents happen with chemicals, medicine, or household items.
- Just had a baby and feel like it’s all too much? – Call (800) – 944 – 4773 for caring support and help with depression, sadness and worry.
- Mental health answers – Call (866) – 615 – 6464 for more mental health information.
- Mental health care – Call (800) – 662 – 4357 for 24/7 help finding professional treatment near you.
- Help with smoking – Call (800) – 784 – 8669 to get help with quitting smoking.
- Help with drugs and alcohol – Call (800) – 662 – 4357 for 24/7 help finding professional treatment near you.
- Rape and sexual abuse – Call (800) – 656 – 4673 for 24/7 caring help and support.
- Violence at home – Call (800) – 799 – 7233 for 24/7 caring help and support to deal with your partner (boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, or wife).
- Cutting or hurting yourself – Call (800) – 366 – 8288 for caring professional help and support.
- Help dealing with difficult emotions – Call (800) – 273 – 8255 for 24/7 caring help with feelings of hopelessness and giving up.
- Single Mother Guide (also help for dads): Assistance and financial help for struggling parents and children by state.
- Single Dads – Healthy Relationships: Guide to building a healthy relationship with your children after a separation or divorce.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more single parent support services near you.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer (LGBTQ)
- Support groups: Meet others going through the same challenges you are, including parenting, mental health issues and the unique social and emotional needs of the LGBTQ parenting community.
- PFLAG: Connect with other LGBTQ people for support and find a PFLAG chapter near you.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more LGBTQ support services near you.
- Guides: Our Children, Our Trans Loved Ones
- Runaway help: Call (800) – 786 – 2929 for 24/7 caring help with running away, being bullied, talking to your parents, and help getting home.
- Love is respect: Call 866 – 331 – 9474 for 24/7 caring help dealing with abuse in dating and relationships.
- Pregnancy and baby help app – Text BABY to 511411 for information on how to keep you and your baby healthy (also in Spanish).
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more teen parent support services near you.
Parents Who Have Been in Jail
- Guide for Incarcerated Parents Who Have Children in the Child Welfare System: Information for moms and dads in state prison with children in child welfare system.
- Little Children, Big Challenges and Incarceration: Tools to help you with the changes your child is going through.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more support services near you.
Older Parents (55 years and over)
- Senior Health and Fitness Support: More helpful resources and information for seniors
- Benefits Check Up: Find benefit programs that can help you pay for medications, health care, food and more.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more support services for older parents near you.
- The Learning Community: Tips and for parents and families with children who are new to America.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: Information about working, becoming a U.S. citizen and bringing other family members to the United States.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more immigrant support services near you.
Blended and Stepfamilies
- Step-Parenting and Blended Families: Advice on how to bond with stepchildren and deal with stepfamily issues.
- Dads – Your Child’s Other Father: Help for biological fathers dealing with their children’s stepfathers.
- National Stepfamily Resource Center: Tips, information and support for stepfamilies.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more blended families support services near you.
Military Members and Their Families
- New Parent Support Program: Call 800 – 342 – 9647 for nearby help with baby, home visits, connections to other resources, prenatal classes, parenting classes and play groups.
- Deployed Dads – Preparing children for Separation: Guide to dealing with separation when serving in the military.
- Employee’s Guide to Military Family Leave: Guide to understanding Military Family Leave.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more veteran and military member support services near you.
Parents and Children with Special Needs
- Disability.gov – Find information and help for people with disabilities
- Job Accommodation Network (JAN): Help with work and looking for jobs
- Benefits for Children with Disabilities: Guide to financial assistance options.
- Helping Children with Learning Disabilities: Guide to learning more about learning disorders and helping your child.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more disability support services near you.
Rape and Sexual Abuse Survivors
- Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network: Call (800) – 656 – HOPE (4673) for 24/7 caring help and support for you, your kids or a loved one.
- Not Alone: Find support in your area if you are in a crisis or want to speak with an advocate.
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center: Get up-to-date information, resources and help.
- After Silence: A welcoming online support group, message board and chat room.
- United Way Worldwide: Call your local 2-1-1 for help finding more rape support services near you.
Keep in mind that your doctor or health care provider can also help you get the help you need by connecting you to more resources near you.
Talk to your doctor or health care provider for more information.
If you don’t have a doctor, find a health center near you.
Call (800) – 944 – 4773 for caring support and help with depression, sadness and worry as a new parent.
Call (800) – 273 – 8255 for 24/7 caring help when you have difficult emotions or feel hopeless and like giving up.
Page last reviewed: January 31, 2017 Page last updated: January 31, 2017