There are simple ways to get exercise throughout the day whether you’re running errands, at home, traveling, at work or at school. Just walking more can be a great way to improve your health.
6 Great Ways to Get Exercise Without Joining a Gym
- Walking more or bike riding to and from places whenever you can.
- Taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, even if it is just to the second or third floor.
- Getting off one stop early when taking the bus or train and walking the rest of the way.
- Parking your car farther away from your destination and walking the rest of the way.
- Visit your local community and recreation center or public library. They often have free or low cost drop-in fitness classes like aerobics, yoga, pilates, dance, tai chi and more. You can call 2-1-1 for help finding a center near you. If you are in New York City, you can check out Shape Up NYC for free fitness classes.
- If you’re home a lot, you can try walking around, running in place, push ups, dancing or walking up and down the stairs as much as you can. Water bottles, small packs of rice or beans and canned goods make great homemade weights. If you have a smartphone or computer, you can also check out workout and fitness videos on YouTube for some great exercise routines that you can do.
✧ Support groups: Find a Meetup fitness group near you.
Keep in mind that it is very important to check with your doctor first before starting any new exercise or physical activity routine.
Talk to your doctor or health care provider for more information.
If you don’t have a doctor, find a health center near you.
Call 2-1-1 for 24/7 help finding local community and recreational centers, health programs, services and all kinds of help near you.
Page last reviewed: July 15, 2017 Page last updated: July 15, 2017